Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Overdrive

I tried to listen to an Overdrive book at work, but security on the computer at work prevented a complete download of their Media Console, so I had to do this discovery exercise at home. I found it easier to download the console, locate "Fahrenheit 451" , check it out and listen to "Part One: The Hearth and the Salamander" than I expected, although I did have to back out and then return to Overdrive after the Console was downloaded.
The audio quality was fine and the person who read it does a good job, but it would be be better to have several people provide the voices, although I realize that's seldom done.
The only issue I have with audiobooks is that I'd prefer to hold and read a book than listen to a very lengthy recording. Burning the book to CD and then playing it on a long drive would be distracting, but downloading the book to an MP3 player to listen to on a walk might be a possibilty. Too bad I have an iPod.
A portion from Overdrive's description of "Fahrenheit 451" is: "The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires, and he enjoys his job. "

No comments: