Friday, July 18, 2008

RSS Feeds

I am familiar with the general notion of RSS feeds because of the iGoogle home page for my own computer, which has a tremendous number of possible RSS feeds. I had never worked with them before, though, other than adding them from those that Google offered.

I added feeds about three of my favorite things: Tuscany; Shetland Sheepdogs; and chocolate using the Bloglines search function and was surprised how user-friendly it was. I liked the ease of use, the convenience of your interests gathered in one place, the enormous choice of feeds and the time that they save.

I already use this technology in my personal life, as I mentioned above. Professionally, I can see using it as one stop shopping for library-related websites, blogs and journals. New materials received, library news and programs planned could be disseminated to our patrons by RSS.

I can tell there is more for me to learn about RSS and Bloglines, so I intend to spend more time investigating them.

No comments: